Tuesday, August 6, 2013

30th July 2013 - Killybegs to Clew Bay

Skippers meeting is early, but my back seems to be seized and I crawl around like a tortoise for a while. A hot shower and Ibuprofen help. Suited up, I join the others at the quay for the meeting. 
Skippers meeting Killybegs
The weather is Force 4 to 6 - SW to W - so all the talk is of hugging the coast and using whatever land we can for cover. Also using Achill Sound, to cut off Achill Head, but concensus is the tide will be too low even for the small boats. As soon as we leave, Top Hat, which is the small boats safety vessel, has an engine problem and has to return to Killybegs. This is a big loss, the safety vessels are a big confidence boost.
The larger cabin Rib- Freya, assumes the Safety vessel role for the whole flotilla.
We head across Donegal Bay - hugging the Sligo coast and we are able to keep a steady speed, although we are heading directly into the swells. 
I take a few thumps and my back cries enough. Just before Erris Head we shelter behind an island called the Stags. 
Milling about trying to shelter behind Stags Island - Merlin extreme right
Stu, who is riding on Jurgen the German's Searider, has offered to drive Merlin for a spell as he knows my back is hurting, and I decide now is the time. Stu transfers to Merlin, I call up Freya on the VHF and she swings past and picks me up. I settle gingerly onto a fender they have placed on their cushions in the cabin. Its still a few hours left to go, but they zig and zag and generally drive sympathetically, so I dont feel too badly knocked about by the time they arrive in Rosmoney, Clew Bay. Mayo sailing club is throwing a reception for the Round Ireland Rib Challenge, with food, live music and much irish hospitality, however I am looking for Ibuprofen, a hot shower and a ride to Westport to my B and B. Around 11.30 pm I finally get there, back very sore, and collapse on the bed. Pick up is 8.10 am in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment