Tuesday, August 6, 2013

1st August 2013 - Fenit to Dingle

The muscle relaxant and painkilling jab are fantastic. I am able to walk carefully and get dressed (luckily Stu had put my kit bag in the ambulance or I would be wearing a dry suit again!). I take a taxi into town and go to the pharmacy to pick up my new prescription painkillers and muscle relaxant, then have the taxi take me out to the marina at Fenit.
The flotilla, including Stu driving Merlin, have left. One of the other small boats has a problem and is still there. Richard, someone I know from the RIB forum, is helping the owner get his problem sorted, but more importantly has a landrover and a plan to go to Dingle that afternoon. I wait with my kit bag in the doorway of the lifeboat station. 
Two of the off duty lifeboat men are there and we get talking. Richard encourages me to tell them what happened to me a few days ago and I get asked in for a coffee ! Nice guys who go to reinforce the importance of my Just Giving page and fund raising for the RNLI.
An hour or so later and after some above and beyond assistance rendered by Richard to the stranded small boat, he is driving me down to Dingle and drops me at my hotel.
Although I am aware of the pain in my back, the drugs I have been given are holding everything in check and making me feel quite normal. All the boats have arrived in Dingle when we get there, including Merlin and Stu is giving it a look over before shutting down. I feel a bit crest fallen, seeing everyone hovering around their boats, but the news is that weather is closing in and tomorrow will be a weather day. Some of the big boats seperated yesterday, three made for a beach and camped, and three stayed in Galway...all due to the atrocious weather conditions. That night in Dingle I join the boys from the Suzuki truck, Richard and Donegal Dan, getting food and some drinks, although strictly non alcoholic for me !



No comments:

Post a Comment