Saturday, July 27, 2013

27th July 2013 - from the jaws of defeat etc ....


I spent the night in the Bridge Hotel and after yesterday’s dramas, I woke a little non-plussed. The enormity of what had happened hadn’t quite sunk in. I mean, yes…I understood what had happened, and I was mentally replaying it in my mind, but the frustration I felt while in the water, at the situation I found myself in, had started to slip out of my consciousness.
Above everything …and even now writing this a week after the events, the over-riding image in my mind is of seeing the big yellow Seaking Helo, swing around and position itself squarely in front of me 50 feet up and about 70 feet away, so that I was looking directly at the cockpit. I don’t think that moment and how I felt, will ever leave me.

I missed breakfast but the kind souls at the hotel made me a bacon buttie, just what was needed for the day ahead. I was just determined to get back in the Challenge, and was running through possible repair scenarios. No time for GRP repair, I had packed the drill in my car (who knows why) and so bought mastic, stainless steel self tapping screws and the only handheld vhf they had in the chandlery at Neyland Marina. I opted for the "Searider" approach and spent most of the morning and lunchtime drilling the internal seat flange at Neyland marina on a berth (glad it wasnt raining) and slapped a bunch of stainless self tappers and a bunch of mastic on the floor. Seems as well fixed now as the rear jockey which is bolted. 
I wandered back down to the car park and suited up for the crossing, taking extra care about everything. I couldn’t re-use my Hybrid Baltic Rib lifejacket so had to use my spare Crewsaver 275. Comfortable but not as warm as the Baltic.
I telephoned Milford Haven Coast Guard and checked in with the watch officer, gave him details of my route and expected eta of 20.00. The plotter read 110 miles straight line to Dun Laoghaire.  Quite a crossing. I checked in with the lovely peeps at Milford Haven Coast Guard by VHF, and thanked them for their assistance yesterday.
I have to admit it took a lot of will power to get back in the boat and specifically to point it at the open sea when leaving the sound. Bit like riding a bike, had to get back on. The passage started lumpy, so I took my time, passed a lot of suicidal welsh sea birds, puffins, manx shearwater, guillemot...A couple of seals, and a porpoise. Duly, the sea quietened down mid St Georges channel with a little mist. 
The AIS came into its own then as I was able to pick up the shipping traffic, a fair time before I could see it. I wonder what they made of this 5 metre RIB heading across the shipping lanes in the mist! Well …maybe I can guess. 
Grinding down the miles, I was getting concerned about my fuel state, and stopped about 20 miles off the Irish coast to add the first of my 18 litre cans to the tank. As fuel was going to be a little tight I decided to head directly to the coast and head up so that I could if need be, drop into a harbour and try to get more gas.
After another 20 minutes I stopped again and added my last 18 litre can to the tank. I was about 5 miles short of Wicklow and 20 to run to Dun Laoghaire, but despite wanting to try and run the last few miles I decided that it would be more prudent to head into the harbour and try to find fuel. It was just coming up to 8.00 pm, so I also checked in with Milford Haven Coast guard by phone to let them know I was safe on the Irish Side.
I clambered up the ladder at the fish quay with two empty petrol cans and found a new friend almost immediately. He was Lithuanian, spoke extremely limited English/Irish, but enough to realise what I needed, and so I bundled into his car in Drysuit and lifejacket and headed out of town to the only open gas station. Who knows what they thought when I walked inside the gas station to pay, but the clerks said nothing and acted like it happens every day …love Ireland!
On the way back my new Lithuanian friend told me he was in fact the street sweeper for Wicklow and drove me down the main street. “….’dis my street…. I cleeeen ‘dis street.” He proclaimed.  “…..you know peeples take a poop on ‘dis street” he added and noting my bewilderment, he added “….a full poop ! “ 
Thanks given I lowered the full gas cans down into the boat and emptied them into the tank, started her up and headed out towards Dun Laoghaire.

Leaving Wicklow with dusk falling rapidly

Coming out from Wicklow the sun was setting behind the mountains, it looked majestic and triumphant. I took out my camera and took a couple of shots. Its hard to take pictures on the boat when moving at speed as I always need to have hands for control etc…but I think they came out ok.
The light was failing rapidly when I made Dun Laoghaire and pulled Merlin round into the Marina. I found a vacant berth next to the other Ribs and moored up, got my kit for the night out and called Hugo, the organiser and main protagonist, to check in and find out where they where (Purties Kitchen). 

The Sun sets behind the Mountains - Wicklow
After the longest walk EVER to get out of the marina, I eventually made it to the watering hole, still in my dry suit and carrying my kit bag.  A few unusual looks but once inside everyone was super friendly and very curious about the preceding day’s events. 
The Guiness had by now assumed "Ice Cold in Alex" proportions!
After an hour or so I was dropped gratefully at my hotel. I don’t know how I got out of the dry suit – but I did and was asleep on the bed extremely quickly, I have to say , feeling quite pleased with my effort on Day 2. 

My shoulder is still sore from the water impact, think that will take a few days to sort, but otherwise feel fine.
The start tomorrow is at 8.30 am ..yikes..I need to fuel as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment