Wednesday, July 24, 2013

25th July 2013

My alarm has just gone off and I havn't been to bed.
I watched the daylight creep under the blinds a few hours ago, so I knew exactly what I was doing. Not content with getting massively out of my comfort zone (and probably my ability zone if that is in fact a zone) by taking on the circumnavigation of Ireland in a 5 metre open boat, I obviously thought that no sleep will spice things up on this, the last day before departure.
Today - in strict chronological order, I must wake up - done that - catch two flights from Riga in Latvia to Newcastle in the UK, drive 40 miles to the storage space for my boat and trailer, hook it up to the Landrover and drive 420 miles to Milford Haven on the south western tip of Wales.
Right now I anticipate getting there around midnight.
On the 26th I will launch the boat, take it round to Neyland Marina, return the mile to the slipway by car/taxi/bike whatever and collect my car and trailer and bring them back to secure park at the marina.
At 11 am that morning, chocks away...sorry slip the lines, much more nautical, and head west to the south east corner of Ireland at Kilmore Quay, the official start line for the Round Ireland Rib challenge 2013. You see... all that effort, 80 miles across the open sea, 400 mile drive, just to get the start line!

As it turns out - my start from the North East is delayed and I tow through the night to make West Wales, taking a few cat naps along the way, but anticipation and excitement keep me going and I arrive in Milford Haven just as the flotilla departs, feeling reasonably ok and more concerned about launching by myself than by the solo passage.


Sitting on the trailer in Swansea Services, its 09.30 am on the 26th, I realise I wont make the official start time for the "feeder" crossing to Kilmore Quay for tomorrow's start.

It always puzzles me how big the boat looks in these pics, but its less than 5 metres long, under 17 feet in old money!